Safer Edge has long-term experience of working in the most hostile and fragile contexts around the world and can:
- conduct a full audit of your current security management procedures
- make recommendations for alterations to your security practices
- review procedures that have been recently adopted
- or develop comprehensive security management plans
The scope and duration of the work will depend on the context, the scale and geographical spread of your operations, and the level of depth of analysis you require. This may be a single piece of work, or conducted over a period of time to complete a comprehensive review process.
In the audit and review process, the risks faced by projects, staff and organisations are further developed from the Security Management Framework originally developed by Van Brabant. This consists of:
- Developing a comprehensive context analysis of the wider country/area situation
- Understanding the strategic and business aims of the organisation, and the appetite for risk
- Mapping the actors and the threats they generate
- Understanding the vulnerabilities presented by the organisation and its staff
- Mapping the likelihood and impact of the threats to determine the greatest risks
- Developing security procedures and practices to reduce/counter those risks, either by reducing exposure to the threats and/or reducing organisational vulnerabilities
Security threat assessment is a continuous, cyclical process. In-depth assessments and recommendations take place through a three-phase process:
- Discovery and Understanding – observation, rigorous collection of fact-based information, triangulation and analysis
- Decision Making – decision-making of appropriate actions to address identified risks, and achieving acceptance (or preferably consensus) in the implementation of those actions amongst those who are affected by the changes
- Action & Review – take action, measure the impact of those actions, review and revise procedures as necessary.
The Safer Edge preference is to take a partnership approach to developing the appropriate risk assessment and recommendations, in recognition that effective security management is most likely to happen when staff are fully involved in the decision-making and implementation process. Through many years of experience we have found this process of enabling ownership of the security management policies and procedures by those who live out those procedures every day ensures the most effective adherence to them.
Safer Edge is always happy to advise on what we believe to be the best for your programme.
Please contact us if you would like more information or to discuss your needs with us.